You have a novel that you are reading in small groups in class, and sometimes at home. I would like you to choose another book of choice for the rest of May and I would like you to read this with an adult. This does not mean that you sit, every night, reading to them – you may wish to read a chapter and chat it over, do reading tennis with them, get the audio version and listen to some part and read the others, they may read a chapter and then you can read it and you may take turns to answer questions for each other.
This task is for you to read for enjoyment while discussing texts as we have been doing in class. Skills to consolidate might include – inferential questions, rhetorical questions, predicting, comparing the text to others you have read or to events in your own lives, you may discuss the author’s purpose or main idea, look up words and discuss why they have been used….talking about texts is endless. Enjoy your reading.
At the end of the month I would like you to share your book with peers in the form of a verbal book report.
Due 24th May
As High school looms closer it is important to have your future in mind, not everyone knows what they want to be when they are adults but it is always food for thought. If you have a rough idea then you can plan next steps, goals and even have an idea of experience, skills and qualifications that you need to gain. I would like you to produce a report on 1 career path that you are thinking of considering. This should be written or typed and include various texts and images. You should have
- A contents page
- An about you page – why you are choosing that career to research, what skills and qualities you have that might help you in that career etc.
- Information about training/experience/tests/exams/assessments needed for that career.
- An idea of progression in that career path, you may want to include wage details, responsibility details and additional training needed as you progress.
- You may want to include what life would be like of a “typical day in the life of a…..”
- You might be lucky enough to know someone in that career who you can interview and write up about their experiences.
- You may need to include a glossary or FAQ pages or even tables, charts etc – the choice is yours.
*I would like you to research this topic in detail. Please include all details that you feel may be relevant and will show me that you have done high quality research and work over the 2 week period.
There is a SUMDOG assessment for the class. We are also consolidating work on fractions, decimals and percentages and many pupils know division needs improvement – specifically short division with 4 digit numbers.
We also plan to have a bake sale for NDCS on the 17th of May. Donations of baking etc that we can sell would be gratefully received.