Welcome to out page dedicated to Nursery to P1 transitions (August 2021). We hope to fill this page with most of the information needed to support transition to primary school
In normal circumstances we would have an induction day for pupils and an information meeting for parents. Please see the attached PowerPoint document which has relevant information which would have been shared with you at this meeting. We will keep this page updated as much as possible so you may have a port of call for information.
P1 Induction Information
Meet the Teacher
Click here for Mrs Hinton’s Meet the teacher letter
Mrs Hinton’s Summertime Stories
- This is one of my favourite stories, I enjoyed reading it to my son and daughter before they started school. The little girl has mixed emotions about starting school but had a fabulous time in the end. Enjoy reading this together
- I am absolutely too small for school, Lauren Child
As part of the P1 induction, there is usually opportunity to purchase a homework/book bag, school tie or School badge to sew on uniform if desired. Book bags are really useful for storing home-school items such as homework, books and letters.
These items are £4 each. If you wish to purchase please can you put the correct money into an envelope with your child’s name and hand it into the office.
Last year in P1 we used the SeeSaw app as a way of sharing learning. This really helped foster home/school relations in a time where we were not allowed parents in school to share learning or even see work or the classroom. We also used this for homelearning. You will be given a form to fill out (you can print it off below and hand in to Mrs Hinton, or a copy will be given out in August). More information can be found on the link below.
Mid Mouse – Midlothian Council’s authority wide transition project to support transitions into Primary 1. Click the picture to find out more.
- Top ten tips for starting school
- getting ready for school
- Free school meals and clothing grants
- Best Start Grant and Best Start Foods
- Curriculum for Excellence in a Nutshell
Links to some more stories that you may enjoy, watching/listening to and discussing 🙂
- Mae’s first day of school, Kate Berube
- Whiffy Wilson the wolf who wouldn’t go to school, Caryl Hart
- The Colour Monster goes to school, Anna Llenas
- First Day at Bug School, Sam Lloyd
- Starting school, Janet and Allan Ahlberg
- How do Dinosaurs go to school?, Jane Yolen
- Lucy and Tom go to school, Shirley Hughes
- Mouse’s first night at Moonlight school, Simon Puttock
- Bobbo goes to school, Shirley Hughes
- Going to school, Usborne First Experiences
- The Everywhere Bear, Julia Donaldson
- Don’t worry little crab, Chris Haughton
- Ruby’s Worry, Tom Percival
- Tough guys have feelings too, Keith Negley
- All the ways to be smart, Davina Bell