In connection with our new topic ‘Dinosaurs’ Primary 1 and 2 are going to Dynamic Earth on Wednesday 26th October. We will leave school at 9.15 am and return by 2.00pm. Please can all children wear school uniform and bring a snack and a packed lunch (NO NUTS, CANS OR FIZZY JUICE). The cost of this trip is £7.00 which includes transport, a workshop and a tour of Dynamic Earth. If any parents are able to help please let us know.
Homework this week:
Spelling List 6 : ar
Reading – ongoing; keep checking reading bags please.
Topic – Dinosaurs! Eddie found a very large egg in the playground. We incubated it and looked after it – the next day, out hatched a baby dinosaur! The adventure continues…
PE – Tuesday and Thursday as usual.
Show and Tell – Week 2 rota
Homework this week:
Spelling– List 5 ‘qu’.
Reading – Ongoing. Remember the book bags should be brought to school daily, even if it’s not your child’s reading day. Thanks.
Numeracy – Continue to practice ‘LearnIts’
Topic- New topic…to be revealed…watch this space!!
Show and Tell – back to Week One of the rota. Well done to all those who had something prepared to say about their item.
PE – Tuesday and Thursday
**Reminder** School Photographer Tuesday 20th September
- PE – Tuesday and Thursday
- Please make sure your child has their reading folder with them daily.
- Important – if you are picking your child up early from school for an appointment, can you please let either the office or myself know first thing in the morning so we can have your child ready in time. Also, please let me or office know if the end-of-day pick up arrangement changes. Thank you.
Homework this week–
Spelling – List 4
Reading – ongoing
Numeracy – continue ‘LearnIt’ cards.
Topic– Finishing off harvest and starting to look at autumn.
Show and Tell – Week 2 of the rota ( Monday’s pair can show their items on Tuesday 20th)
Thanks for your support,
Spelling – List 3 ‘th’
Reading – as normal – please check green homework bags daily for updates. I will send home a slip indicating when your child will usually have reading in class.
Numeracy – ‘Learn-It’ cards will be sent home on Wednesday to practise. Info to follow.
Topic– ‘Harvest’ continued – This week we will study and dissect some wheat straight from a field; look at the ‘wheat to bread journey’; make drop scones; study the fable ‘The Little Red Hen’ in literacy and also read and illustrate a harvest poem. Last week, the children looked at barley and reconstructed this from paper! ( I apologise for the confusion when I told the children it was wheat! Oops!)
Learning Powers – Children will discuss which Learning Powers they’ll use in their lessons. These help the children to have a positive mind set and a ‘can do’ attitude.
- Have a go
- Never give up
- Be curious
- Be imaginative
- Enjoy learning
Remember that it is the September break next weekend so no school on Friday or the following Monday. On Tuesday 20th, the school photographer will be in to take individual pictures.
PE– is on Tuesdays and Thursdays – can girls with longer hair please have this tied back for gym.
Show and Tell Rota – P2 LOVE Show and Tell and the demand for it is overwhelming!! I have had to make a rota to ensure all pupils get a turn. This rota covers two weeks so your child will only have one day every fortnight I’m afraid. Children are encouraged to bring in items of interest, perhaps topic related or to do with hobbies or achievements. Children do not have to do this- it is optional but those who do, should prepare something interesting to tell the class about their item. Here is the rota- child’s initials used, boys in bold. Week One starts tomorrow, Monday 12th.
Show and Tell 2 Week Rota P2 September 2016
Monday – O.C & Em.W
Tuesday – P.B & S.W
Wednesday – C.K & N.S & L.D
Thursday – I.K & C.L
Friday – H.A & Em.H & A.R
Monday – Ev.T & R.C
Tuesday – A.I & L.C
Wednesday – C.G & Ell.M & Ei.Tw
Thursday – L.B & B.C
Friday – I.G & A.C & E.Mc
Thanks for your support,
P2 Homework this week –
- Spelling – List 2 ‘Ch‘ – please select activities from the spelling grid given out last week.
- Reading – check homework bags daily for updated markers.
- Topic – we will be finding out more about Harvest time – so if anyone has any books or items about this, that would be very useful.
- Numeracy – counting objects accurately up to 20. Practise counting out objects. Try putting objects in pairs and counting in twos. Try making a set of ten then begin to discuss place value by adding on ones to ten.
PE is on Tuesdays and Thursdays– children should have a T-shirt, shorts, socks and well fitting gym shoes. Children with long hair should have this tied back.
Events this week:
Monday – A visiting theatre group will perform ‘Oliver Twist’ to the whole school.
Tuesday and Thursday – PE
Wednesday – Meet the Teacher – 3:30 – 4pm. A chance to drop in with your child, see the classroom and have an informal chat.
‘Show and Tell’ – Children may bring in items of interest- maybe souvenirs from holiday, medals, certificates or items related to topic work. I’m trying to discourage children bringing in toys.
Everyone has reading and spelling homework. I have sent home work in a clear homework bag unless your child handed in their green folder from last year.
Spelling – I have sent home a sheet with SIX weeks worth of spelling lists. I have dated the top of each list, clearly indicating when each one is to be learned. This week, the sound focus is ‘sh‘. I have also sent home a grid of spelling activities which are basically online games, jotter work and quick revision games which need nothing. If you cannot access the spelling games online, do not worry as your child will play these games in school ICT time anyway. Use the other choices to practise the spelling list.
When will my child get a spelling test?
We ‘test’ spelling through the dictation of sentences and so, the dictation of List 1 will take place next Monday, 5th September. So, your child has a whole week to learn their spelling words.
Everyone gets a new book this week, following on from where they left off in Primary One 🙂 . I’ll put in markers to guide you as to how much to read and when.
Thanks for your support; hope to meet you on Wednesday.
The final countdown has begun- we have reached the last week of term before the summer holidays! As such, the only homework this week is to finish the spelling lists (91-100).
- I will collect all reading books in on Wednesday. Please return any library books too please.
- Sumdog winners – I have worked out the top 3 players throughout P2 and will present these pupils with a small prize on Wednesday, as I will do to the top 3 players in our current competition. Well done to all who took part and remember, Sumdog should be open over the holidays if children have a spare half hour or so.
- PE will happen at different times this week due to demands on the large gym hall so please make sure your child has his/her kit with them all week.
- Sturdy plastic bags- please hand one in on or before Wednesday so your child can empty their work trays and bring art work home.
- A reminder that school finishes at noon on Friday.
I just want to wish everyone a happy and safe summer holiday. I have very much enjoyed teaching this wonderful class and although I am sad to see them go, will look forward to watching their progress in P3 with the lovely Miss P and Miss L. I also want to thank you, the parents, for being so supportive throughout.
Miss Sara Brunt