⛅ May 2022 ⛅
We can hardly believe that it is already the summer term and P4 have already started their swimming block on Friday mornings! Everyone came back after the Easter break refreshed and ready to learn. We will continue with our tremendous effort towards our homework and are very proud to see how many pupils are achieving their ‘Gold Certificates’ 🥇 – keep up the fabulous work P4!
- Spelling: homework tasks consist of pupils writing new spelling words in their homework jotter on Wednesday each week. At home they should use:
LOOK THINK/SAY COVER WRITE CHECK
- writing out their new spelling words three times in neat columns. They should also complete an activity card which will earn pupils credit card points. Completed spelling homework should be returned the following Monday to be marked and the next spelling pattern will be given for homework on Wednesday each week. All activities are discussed in class so your child should be able to complete these tasks independently or with minimal adult support.
- Numeracy & Maths: each week an activity sheet will be given to practise work which has been taught in class. Pupils can write straight onto this sheet so no need to copy into their jotters and this can be returned in their folder on Monday of the following week.
- Reading: all pupils have been allocated a reading book which goes home once or twice per week to be read with an adult. It is extremely important that this activity is done at home as only through regular reading practice, will children improve this valuable life skill! Please ensure your child’s reading book is returned to school on the date written on the bookmark. It would also be helpful if you could initial this when you have heard your child read.
- PE/Health & Wellbeing: this will be a mix of indoor and outdoor activities where possible and to that end, can children please come dressed for outdoor PE on Monday and Wednesday each week. An outdoor kit will consist of trainers, shorts/jogging bottoms/leggings, t-shirt, fleece and outdoor showerproof jacket. We still don’t have a changing area at present so children will wear their kit for the day. Additionally, please ensure pupils bring a water bottle to keep hydrated.
Mandarin – P4 will continue to take part in weekly, half hour Mandarin lessons every Wednesday morning and we are very excited about the up and coming trip to Edinburgh Zoo to visit the pandas (more details to follow).
Digital Devices – All pupils are now managing their Chrome Books between school and home very well. Please remember that the devices will follow pupils through their schooling, therefore it is extremely important that they are taken care of and we ask that you ensure that pupils pack their device every morning for use in school. If they are forgotten then the office will phone home and request that it is dropped at school to ensure valuable learning is not missed.
Indoor Shoes – All pupils have been requested to bring a pair of indoor shoes, suitable for PE, to school. This is to protect the school carpets which cost a great deal to clean.
Whole School Assembly – We are delighted to be back together in the hall as a whole school to take part in weekly assemblies. Unfortunately due to the timing of P4 swimming sessions we will only be able to attend the Head Teacher Award assemblies at the end of May and June.
Outdoor Learning – Pupils will continue to enjoy learning in the outdoors during the summer term as we study the various trees that surround our school.
💻 Parent Digital Support for Chrome Books – A text with a link to sign up for one of our support sessions for you and your child. These take place next week in school. The sessions are as follows;
Monday 9th May 9am
Wednesday 11th May 3.20pm
Friday 13th May 12.30pm
If you are unable to book online, and would like a place on one of the sessions, please contact the school office
Friday 29th April – Friday 24th June – P4 swimming lessons
Wednesday 11th May 7pm – Parent Council Meeting – ALL WELCOME
Thursday 12th May – Thursday 23rd June – Parkour, 12.15pm – 12.45pm P4-7
Monday 16th May – Friday 20th May – Walk to School Week
Monday 23rd May – PUPIL HOLIDAY / Inservice Day – staff only attend
If you have any queries regarding homework or wish to discuss another aspect of your child’s education please contact Mrs Roy or myself by email on our new address:
Many thanks for your support,
Mrs Watts & Mrs Roy